Our tour guide, Caroline Cook, will be taking you on a 6-week virtual experience through the Historic Heartside Neighborhood. Each week she will share images and stories highlighting the origins, hospitality, culture and history of Heartside—and you can return as often as you like! Individuals who join us for ALL 6 tours will receive a $25 gift card for a local business in Downtown Grand Rapids.
Tours will take place from 12:00 – 1:00 pm on the following dates:
May 27 – Grand River Ramble: A Focus on Origins
June 10 – Immigrant Gateway: A Focus on Who
June 24 – Entertainment Expedition: A Focus on Hospitality
July 8 – Historic Habitation: A Focus on Living
July 22 – Civic Awakening: A Focus on Culture
August 5 – Faith & the Future: A Focus on Churches
This online event series is FREE, but you must RSVP to participate!
To participate, please register for the event via Eventbrite to get your ticket. After you register, you will be sent an email confirmation with your order number and a link to join via ZOOM. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about your tour guide:
Caroline Cook, Chief Tour Ambassador at Grand Rapids Running Tours
Caroline Cook has created over 40 themed tours. Intriguing content, presented on the go. Caroline believes that the best way to experience Grand Rapids is by moving at street level, accompanied by a savvy guide who can share history, trivia and fun facts about the people and places you encounter along the way. What an incredible combination of entertainment, and education.
What to expect/What you need to know
A Zoom account is not required to join this virtual event, but you will need the following:
- An internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
- A webcam or HD webcam – built-in or USB plug-in
Participants will be able to join from any device that has these capabilities including desktop, laptop, tablet or mobile device. To mitigate any connection issues, you can download the latest version of Zoom for your device ahead of time. Otherwise, you will be prompted to download and install Zoom when you click a join link. (Download: Desktop | App Store/IOS | Google Play/Android)
After joining a Zoom event by clicking on the join link, you will be prompted to join the audio automatically. If this prompt does not appear or you close out of it, click Join Audio in the meeting controls.
On most devices, you can join computer/device audio by clicking Join Audio, Join with Computer Audio, or Audio to access the audio settings.
Here are some best practices for teleconferencing to ensure that you have the best experience possible:
- Move to a quiet area without other persons, music or background noise
- Use the Zoom link on computer for video – Using the navigation bar at the bottom of the page you can:
- Mute your speaker and microphone to retain video
- Adjust the screen view
- turn on closed captioning if you are having difficulty with audio
- Use phone for audio
- When you first call in you will be on mute, unmute by using *6
- Mute telephone when not speaking
- Be courteous & professional
- Try not to interrupt others or talk over each other
- Attendees are visible